WargameFans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for all things RPG and Wargaming!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need advice...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Darius Glenwell

Need advice... Empty
PostSubject: Need advice...   Need advice... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 2:29 am

..on highlighting black. I have taken on the task of painting Jon Snow from George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series since Darksword miniatures (Based here in wonderful Minnesota!!) have begun making miniatures from said books. I will be working with and extremely limited pallet, consisting of only black, grays, white, some brown, and of course flesh tones. Since Jon Snow is a member of the Black Rangers of the Wall, he is going to be all in black. Any helpful tips on how to highlight black?
Any advice would be great or a tutorial that you know of would be good as well with some pics. Thanks so much guys!

Darius
Back to top Go down
Merc
Admin
Merc

Need advice... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice...   Need advice... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:12 pm

My best advice is to either blend grays around the edges or very crisp exterior lines. Otherwise, dark gray base coat and black wash over it. It will make the area mostly black but give the hint of refelection in direct light. I will see if I have any pics around I can post. Also, if you enhance your pallet to a dark blue and blend that, while maybe less than the solid black you are looking for, it may work as well. Let me know if this is at all helpful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wargamefans.net
Darius Glenwell

Need advice... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice...   Need advice... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:01 pm

I've been getting a lot of tips on the Reaper site. Thanks Merc!
Back to top Go down
ogre

ogre

Need advice... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice...   Need advice... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:48 pm

There are a couple of ways you can do this, some easy and some not.

One way that produces very good results - if you do it right - is as Merc described; you hand paint grey highlights on the edges of panels and ridges on your figure. That can produce very sharp results, but can also drive you insane depending on the mini in question.

Now, another way that isn't quite so eye popping but that still works quite well is to prime your mini in light grey, then spray it down with Testors Black Window Tint. Think of it as a very heavy sort of wash. It leaves the edges lighter than the rest, and can get you a decent looking black with no real trouble. Add in a bit of drybrushing with your base coat, and you're golden...and, you can always hand trim large or obvious panels. I used this method on this mini:

Need advice... Exosquad_warhammer_front
Back to top Go down
Merc
Admin
Merc

Need advice... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice...   Need advice... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 am

That is SWEET!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wargamefans.net
Sponsored content

Need advice... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice...   Need advice... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need advice...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WargameFans :: Painting Tips-
Jump to: